Thursday, January 7, 2010

Top Knoxville Restaurants of 2009

I just came across the Knoxville News Sentinel's Grub Scout's top 10 Knoxville eateries of 2009.

Read the list here:


I was shocked and amazed to see Longhorn Steakhouse on the list. How could that possibly be one of the top 10 restaurants in this city...for anyone? Even more shocking were the restaurants not included. How could this list not include, say, the Northshore Brasserie? I tried to be fair and took a step back to really evaluate the list.

I soon realized that I actually haven't dined at most of these restaurants. In fact, I've never even heard of a few of them, namely Dancing Bear Lodge, Apple Cake Tea Room, and 501 Arthur. Being a "foodie" (for lack of a better word), I am suspicious that after nearly four years in this city I am not familiar with these restaurants. Perhaps I am truly missing something...

This also got me thinking - what are my top Knoxville restaurants of 2009?

So, I've decided I am going to visit and review all 10 of the Grub Scout's top 10 Knoxville restaurants of 2009. I'll post updates here and on Yelp with my progress.

In the meantime, I've listed my top Knoxville restaurants of 2009 below. It's important to note these are my local favorites of 2009, not my all-time best-of-Knoxville list. I've also included some of my favorite food and drinks from these establishments from 2009.

Charlietuna's Top 7 Knoxville Restaurants of 2009:
-Beef Short Rib, Calamari Steak, Pomme Frites, Charcuterie Plate, Chef's Specials, Hoegaarden
2. Soccer Taco (Market Square)
-Carnitas tacos from the "Real Mexican Team" menu, Top Shelf Margarita with Don Julio Anejo
-Blackend Fish Tacos, Magic Hat #9
-Marciano Pizza, "Heavyweight" Beer (Woodruff Alt)
5. Sangria's
-Black Ink Calamari, Bread & Olive Oil, Ramon Bilbao Crianza Tempranillo
-Turkey Baguette, Chocolate Croissant, Fruit Crepes, LavAzza Coffee & Cappuccinos
-Vegetable Korma, Bengan Bhurtha, Indian Tea

Honorable Mentions:
Chez Guevara
Taste of Thai
Cigar Bar (closed)
Pete's Coffee Shop
The Bistro at the Bijou
S&W Grand
Tomato Head
Da Vinci's Pizza

Solid "Chain" Restaurants:
Five Guys Burgers and Fries
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches
Romano's Macaroni Grill (surprisingly, yes)



No comments:

Post a Comment