Sunday, January 10, 2010

Wine Review: 2005 Casa de la Ermita Crianza

I am currently enjoying a bottle of 2005 Casa de la Ermita Crianza, a Spanish red wine blend. I've recently become interested in Spanish red wine after having a couple of excellent bottles from Ramon Bilbao, so I picked up this bottle (along with a few other Spanish reds) at Smoky Mountain Wine & Spirits in South Knoxville.

"Crianza" generally refers to Spanish wine that has been aged at least one year in oak barrels, although the label states this particular wine spent 9 months in new oak. The label also reveals this wine is composed of 40% Monastrell (a grape I am unfamiliar with), 25% Tempranillo, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 15% Petit Verdot.

The wine is translucent with medium brownish ruby color. The aroma is actually fairly typical of New World blended red wines, especially California clarets. It has a light wood and herbal smell and a light to medium body with medium to high tannins. The prevalent flavor is dark fruit (mainly grapes and blackberries) with a vanilla finish.

The Casa de la Ermita Crianza is a great value, priced at approximately $15.00. Though I most likely will not seek it out in the future for myself, I would recommend it as an approachable solid red wine for group events, parties, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment